Manal Al-Sharif is currently held in prison for the ”crime” of….
Driving a car!!!!!
Besides imprisonment and torture the further repercussions on her life could be severe! Manal is a professional woman, with a good job and a good salary. She is divorced and has a son. She is risking everything for the right to drive for herself and her fellow Saudi women.
Please support Manal by signing this petition!
So what are the official clerical reasons for this absurd gender based ban disabling women to drive their own cars and forcing them to be in Khalwa with unrelated foreign men?
- removal of hijab (face veil)
- loss of modesty in women
- women leaving their homes, driving around because they enjoy driving
- women rebelling, they may go out of the house and drive to place where they can find peace. As young men do, but young men are able to put up with more than women.
- driving is a cause for fitnah, immoral men will take advantage of her when she is in need of help
- When women drive it leads to overcrowding in the streets, or it deprives some young men of the opportunity to drive cars when they are more deserving of that.
- it will cause the fitnah to flourish, because women will buy a new car because it’s a new model or because they will be the first one to drive it.
- Women are too emotional to drive cars or deal with any problems they might encounter.
Also, women’s hearts are too weak to survive the stress of driving a car.
They are all hilarious, especially the weak heart.
Women driving will deprive some young men of the opportunity to drive cars when they are more deserving of that.
Why would young men have more right to driving a car than a woman? Where does that come from? I’d say the person who really needs the car for something useful is the more ”deserving”.
And last but not least:
Women will buy a new car because it’s a new model or because they will be the first one to drive it.
Let’s have a look at the cars Saudi men buy:
Sorry but ”cars” are really more of a man-thing. Now there may be the odd woman here and there who will go further to get something flashy, but I don’t think the majority of women will outdo the majority of men in the utter bad taste demonstrated above.