Ok, this took a bit longer as expected! We worked almost around the clock for four days, I then drove my (new!) trailer home, late at night, and the next day I put new ligvhts on the front, and new doorhandles. We changed the door from the right to the left, much better. Now I can jump out of my car and with three steps I am with my horse. But that also meant the handles were the wrong way around. So I brought new handles. I also changed the frontwheel, and I made a new cover for the back.
This took me two days more, and then oon Friday I packed all my stuff, my dog and my horse, and took off for the Sidesaddle Weekend!
So here is the demolishing and rebuilding of my trailer! I am now the proud and happy owner of a (nearly) new trailer!
And the Tarq had better appreciate it because it was built with blood, sweat and tears!
J is drilling out the many, many, many bolts which hold the fiberglass top. That was really awful! They were very hard to drill out, and there remained some remnants which were very difficult to remove.
But we got them out, and together we romoved the top! Very carefully we stored it ouside in a safe place so it would nog get damaged. The fenders have been dislodged from the walls, and the door has been taken off too.
More finnicky stuff which need to be removed. More bolts…
Demolishing with zest!
Demolishing is fun!
Not much left at the end of the day. Maybe we should leave it like this… Nice and airy….
J is measuring the door panel.
All pieces are cut to shape. I did that outside. Brrrrr…. i spend the whole day in the freezing snowing outside! An extra snag was provided by the wooden panels which turned out to bee 3 mm too thick and did not fit the metal profiles. And I went with my trailer to a trailer builder to make sure I got the right thickness! Yeah right….
This is where the tears came in. As we had allready shed our blood over the demolishing part. When the panels turned out to be way too thick I had to sniff a bit. The only option was a special machine to cut the edges, but we didn’t have one. A neighbour didn’t have one either, but he did have a shaver, which could be used to do the trick. Took a lot od time though. It was difficult.
And not perfect. I don’t like it when things aren’t perfect…
Well, at least we could now put the thing together again.
It took three of us to get the top back in place… It was getting to be a real trailer again!
These side-struts are essential to keep the walls from bulging out.
Putting the little door back in took me a whole half day to get it perfect!
J putting screws in to attach the top. W propped it up so it was at the perfect angle and all the holes lined up.
My new trailer back home! The doorhandles are still the wrong way around, and the old frontwheel is still in place. I will have to make a new photo tomorrow!