There are certain etiquette rules in Blogsphere. Etiquette is nothing outlandish or elitist. To keep to a certain set of rules will make life easier, and more enjoyable for everybody. This is the truth in the real world, and equally so in Blogsphere.
- When you start writing a blog, write it for yourself.
- Research your posts, and add hyperlinks, or list your sources, make it easier for your readers to look up the information for themselves
- Be regular in posting, if it’s everyday, or once a week
- Welcome new visitors
- Give your commentators the respect they deserve and reply to their comments
- don’t use other peoples words or link to their sites without their permission
- Send trackbacks when you link to a post
- Don’t be longwinded; try to keep your writing concise
- Read the blog before you start commenting, every blog has a personality, get to know it.
- Read the post before you comment
- Don’t start screaming! (using caps)
- Thread hijacking: Start writing very long comments, and put your own opinion across, act as if all posts are meant for you alone.
- Don’t write very long comments, keep it under 100 words, be short and concise. Longwinded comments tend to get skimmed over by other readers.
- Don’t swamp a thread with your own comments so that other peoples comments dissapear under your onslaught.
- Don’t go off topic!!! If you feel the constant need to put forward your own thoughts and ideas: Start you own!
- Don’t feed trolls! Do ignore them!
- Your own blog can be accessed by clicking on your name above your comment, don’t advertise your own blog by adding a link to your comments, that’s spamming.
- Repeating the same comment multiple times is also spamming.
- Keep your comments original, if two or three commentators have allready made the comment you wanted to make, be courteous and refrain from adding your duplicate comment.